Tuesday, May 20, 2008

2.) The Real Reason I'm Ok - From Song of Solomon

I guess what I've just written in the post above this one could pretty much stand by itself, yet I wanted to also share a few more things with you. I've been involved in a ladies Bible Study that is studying a most interesting book from the Bible. We've actually been studying the Song of Solomon. This is a book that doesn't usually get that much attention because is seems almost sexual in nature, yet the main message that's contained in the book is truly amazing and once fully grasped, it sort of makes one speechless.

The symbolism is truly precious. The theme of the book is not sex really. It is the relationship between the Bride and the Bride Groom. The Bride is the Church and the Bride Groom is Christ and to better define "Church", I should probably say that it is the people, not the building. The Song of Solomon is about all the love and affection that is felt between the Church, (God's people) and her Savior (Jesus Christ). As we begin to understand this concept, it helps as to realize how truly deep our relationship with Christ can actually be. Not everyone in the Church realizes how very deep and intimate our relationship with Christ can be. Our relationship with Jesus Christ is not just a casual empty thing. It is a love affair; an intense spiritual romance with such depth that it's breath taking.

Let me just quote a few verses for you and explain what they mean. I will include the mention of who it is who is talking. Remember the Bride is the Church and thus, every believer.

From the Bride to the Bride Groom or From the Believer to Christ
"My beloved is mine and I am His. He pastures His flock among the lilies." Song of Solomon 2:16 (NASB)

Interestingly, the lilies represent purity, so purity is where the Bride Groom (Jesus) "pastures His flock". Some Bible translations just say "He feeds amonst the Lilies", but this is not the best translation of the Hebrew word, which is ra'ah, and means either to tend a flock, as of sheep, or to keep company with, or make friendship with.

Aside from the Bride Groom/Bride metaphor of Christ and the Church, the other metaphor to describe the relationship is the Shepherd with His sheep. Just as in the 23rd Psalm, "The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want." Psalm 23:1 (KVJ) and in the gospel of John, Jesus says "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." John 10:11 (NIV)

Getting back to the lilies, though, the lilies represent purity. In Song of Solomon 2:16, Christ feeds us in our purity. He fills us up and makes up for what ever it is that we have had to sacrifice for the sake of remaining true to Him.

From the Bride to the Bride Groom or From the Believer to Christ.
The other verse that I want to mention from the Song of Solomon is "Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His mouth, for Thy love is better than wine." Song of Solomon 1:2 (KJV). Once again, without the symbolism explained, this just sounds sensual, yet the meaning of it is truly precious.

The kisses of His mouth is referring to God's Revelation and the Wine is not just an alcoholic beverage, but represents all that this world has to offer. In other words, what this verse means is that when God comes down and touches us and speaks to us and reveals things to us, the experience is so precious that it is "better than all that this world has to offer".

It is really hard to explain these things. People pretty much have to experience it for themselves before really understanding all that this means.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Thank you! I have read the Song of Solomon many times, attempting - or perhaps I should say "guessing" at it's true meaning. From your explanation here (and I'm sure it's hard to explain) I feel I've come pretty close to understanding it, at least as well as I can on my own. As you pointed out, it doesn't get much attention, and has never been included in any Bible Study I've ever attended.

Lista said...

Oh Gayle!,
The study is so incredible! One other thing that I remember is how the Bride Groom (Jesus) loves us so deeply that when we show even the slightest bit of acknowledgment of Him, He is totally undone. When we mess up, He just smiles and helps us back to our feet again. He loves us so much! He loves us like a lover loves his Bride. When I first heard that it was very hard for me to take.

P Maillet said...

That Hebrew word is same word meaning "to see."

Used in the context of the shepherd shepherding us, we take comfort in that He is always watching us. Nothing comes near us that is outside of His ever-watching love.