Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blogging Fatigue/Sometimes God has Different Plans

Ok. Once I got thinking, I decided that maybe I should make my response to the last comment on the previous post into a new post, whether than just a comment. Interestingly, though, I thought that this post was going to be about our puppy, yet as I began expressing a frustration that I have, it became Spiritual instead and also relates once again to frustrations with Blogging.

BB's Comment
In what is now the last comment on the previous post, BB-Idaho was talking about "getting bruised up a little in the political blog arena, with the Election coming up and most folk uptight."

My Response
Your frustration with politics at this time is interesting. I've actually been annoyed with God a little over how my life has been going since we got our puppy. I've been thinking that it is such bad timing with the Election coming up and all.

I even asked God just before the puppy arrived to please send one that would fit with His plan, not only in relation to what ever life lessons we need to learn, but also in relation to not being too much of an interruption to something that I have considered a ministry, such as my blogging.

Since I prayed this prayer, I have to trust that what ever happens is what God wants, yet I've been so frustrated because what was sent to us was an extremely difficult puppy that requires a lot of our time and causes me to feel almost too tired to blog. I've been very frustrated and have been asking God why. Why at a time in which it would seem that blogging would be all that much more important, has God allowed me to be experiencing this distraction? I haven't had much time to blog or to visit blogs. My hit count is way down to the point at which there are only a small handful of people coming by and looking at my blog. I want to thank those who still do come by and tell you how very greatly I appreciate you.

And yet from the above comment, it seems that one of my most loyal supporters is almost pleading with me to not post about politics. How odd and yet, you know what? It just goes to show you that sometimes what we think is really important is not what the people who we are interacting with really need.

Perhaps just before an election is not the best time to sway people's basic political views anyway. If I thought that there might be some undecided voters reading my blog, that might be different, yet for the most part, I get the feeling that Bloggers in general are rather opinionated people who are difficult to sway. What mostly appears to be happening on Blogs is that those who feel passionate about something have the chance to vent their feelings and they draw others to their Blogs who feel the same way that they do and are also venting. I wonder, at times, how much actual persuading is going on.

And as for me, I ask God for guidance and he distracts me with a difficult puppy.

The bottom line is this...

The Bible says "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV)

Perhaps the key to effective communication both politically and otherwise is Humility, Prayer, Seeking God, Purity, Honesty and Sincerity. Unfortunately, Passionately and Obsessively expressing our views doesn't usually produce the effect that we would like it too.

7 comments:

Kris said...

good reminder ...thanks

BB-Idaho said...

The political bruising is my fault.
I only visit about 6-7 blogs and only one where I don't feel like a wet blanket is a guy that believes so much like me he could be a clone; the rest are very conservative. Seeking understanding and common ground...or masochism? But, when
you mention "My hit count is way down to the point at which there are only a small handful of people coming by.." it reminded me of that liberal, eclectic, curious blogger. He laid out his hit numbers, where they originated,
which posts were most visited, etc. He had low numbers as well.
One 'visitor' he had regularly
(besides ol BB) was the US National Defense University: every other day for 38 seconds. *heh*
When I enquired, mentioning that his blog must be of high strategic value, he said he tried an experiment, putting 7-12 key words in here and there; one of the many
monitoring systems picked up on it.
He even knows the blogs visited by this group prior & after his 38 seconds. Sort of interesting.
IMO, the blogs with low visitor numbers have more 'teeter-totter'
discussion, whereas the big blogs
contain so many comments as to be
'buried' and subsequently immune from any meaningful dialog; as well we see more rancor, profanity and banning. Opinion, of course..
what do you think?

The Griper said...

yup, all those frustrating reasons getting in the way all the time. :) might add patience too with your fellow man.

BB-Idaho said...

Guess I lost another comment here.
...cursed by the demigods of cyberspace?

The Griper said...

"I get the feeling that Bloggers in general are rather opinionated people who are difficult to sway."

how about you, lista, do you consider yourself difficult to sway?

Lista said...

First, I want to apologize for taking so long to get back to my blog. Life can be so distracting at times. I also want to thank all of you for dropping by.

You're welcome Kris,
I need to get by your blog and I also owe you a link.

Hi BB,
I know the cities and states that my hits are coming from, the number of pages visited, the web pages visited before and after their visit (Referring and Out Clicks) and also entry and exit pages, which more often than not is just my home page, but I do not know what posts are most visited. I'm cheap and still have a hit counter that's free. I could upgrade, but we are really trying hard to keep our monthly expenses down.

I use the key word principle too in order to invite Google Search Hits. For example, if and when I post about our dog, a more creative title may be to mimic your description and just call it "White Puppy", yet in the hope of attracting Google Search Hits I'm more likely to say "Our White Samoyed Puppy". Also, when I was posting on the fire, instead of saying something simple like "Fire Stress", I often included the entire phrase "Northern California Fire". I got quite a number of Google Search Hits on those pages.

As to the bigger blogs being immune from any meaningful dialog, that's just the point I've been trying to make in some of my posts about blogging and how the number of hits may not be equal to the actual effectiveness of a blog in making any real difference in anyone's life. I have to remind myself of this often, so I do not feel discouraged.

I think that bigger blogs invite more venting, whether than dialogue, and I've never wanted that to be what my blog is about.

Did you loose the comment, BB, or was I just quite late at getting to it? Forgive me, I'm so sorry.

That is a very interesting question, Griper, and I'm sure I'm just as guilty as the next guy. I try really hard to remain "Teachable", yet I also do not want to be "Swayed by Every Wind of Doctrine". I do need to be convinced.

As to life getting in the way of blogging, I keep thinking of how Jesus would sometimes go up to the mountain to be alone and to talk to the Father, even when many massive human needs were demanding his attention. The people just had to wait because Jesus' relationship with God the Father was more important even than His ministry. There is a very important lesson here that we need to learn and remember.

Forgive me again, though, all of you for the fact that it took me so long to get back to my blog.

Prasopchok,
My apologies to you. Your comments sounded more like an advertisement than a comment.

Lista said...

Hi BB,
Since your comment related more to the Animal verses Humans subject, I have moved it to the previous Post entitled "Rupert, a Premature Baby Fawn Survives in an Icubator. I hope you don't mind.