Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Planting, Watering, Blogging and Counting Hits

I keep coming back to the similar subject of numbers within churches. There are some churches that draw large crowds. Often these are churches that stress Evangelism. They are led by pastors whose gift is Evangelism. They grow quickly in numbers and have lots of new converts to the Christian Family.


Often these churches do not have enough leadership in order to take care of all the discipling that is needed. The focus is on Evangelism and not discipling. The numbers are impressive, but the depth of growth and faith among them is not and some even fall away. I talked about this in more depth in my post "Why do we Blog?".


I remember reading once about a minister that was discouraged about his numbers and also jealous of this other minister that had a huge church. It seems to me that it might have been Dietrich Bonhoeffer, but I'm not sure. Instead of the Lord blessing him with larger numbers, he was asked to pray for the growth of the larger church that he was jealous of. Reluctantly, he obeyed. What made it even worse was that the prayer for this other church was answered.


This minister's smaller church was near by and continued to only grow at a snails pace. Eventually, though, as this larger Evangelistic church grew, some of it's members began to seek council from the minister at the smaller church. Like is so often the case, the larger church lacked the leadership required to handle the load of the rapid increase in their numbers.


Hungry for Discipleship and something more than just the basic Gospel Message taught over and over again, those who wanted something deeper than that overflowed into this other minister's church and his church began to grow as well; never as fast as the larger church, but it was a growth that represented not just an introduction to the faith, but a greater depth and growth.


The principle here is illustrated in one of Paul's letters to the Corinthians...


"6) I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7) So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8) The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose and each will be rewarded according to his own labor." (1 Corinthians 6-8, NIV)


So what does this have to do with Blogging. Well, different bloggers have different gifts. Just as in the Church "One Plants and Another Waters", so also in the Blogosphere, one plants the seed of a new idea into the hearts of many and than another picks up the job by trying to weed out all the obstacles that are blocking people from accepting the idea.


The second of these jobs is more intense and requires much time and thought. The second of these jobs involves a greater depth that is not accepted by and does not draw all of the crowd.


As one last thought, I ought to add that influence goes out like the ripples from a pebble thrown in the stream. As I am often influenced by people like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, as well as by many of you, and my blogging is influenced by you all. As you influence me, you influence how I write and than what I write influences how other bloggers write, which influences what other people write, which influences all that is available on the Web to read.


Interestingly, when ever I pray and ask God to do this or that in our world, God ends up assigning me at least part of the job. For example, I asked him once to give energy to all the bloggers on the web that are writing about what is true. Since I don't have the energy to do the whole job myself, I need God to give energy to all others that are doing it as well. Considering that prayer, is it any wonder that aside from my originally thought that I'd be blogging about Politics and the fact that God seems to keep drawing me away from that and into more Spiritual Subjects; that aside from all that, I am also drawn often to the very subject of blogging itself? As soon as I submit this post, I will be able to say that I have done more posts on this subject than any other subject. Why the subject of Blogging? Well, because this is one way in which I can encourage other bloggers and "give energy" to them to continue presenting what's true.


When you think about it, there are two ways to influence the world. One is to directly influence someone and play a part in changing their mind on something. The other is to influence those who influence. In a lot of ways, the second of these contains more power.

8 comments:

The Griper said...

he smiles and says nothing, good read, girl, very good read of what i said.

Lista said...

You know Griper,
This is off the subject, but Beth wrote a very interesting post entitled "Why not have two Americas?" and I ended up saying something very interesting in one of my comments the shows evidence that I am in fact listening and you are in fact influencing me.

Lista said...

Hmmmm
I wonder why that link didn't work. Here it is again.

Why not have two Americas?

The Griper said...

he smiles as his face reddens in embarrassment.

see, we understand each other more than you may realize.

the reason your link didn't work is that in your addy to her place was missing the L in html.

yes, i visit beth's place myself. haven't got her in my blogroll yet. but intend to when i can get around to it again.

Lista said...

What's frustrating, Griper, is how long understanding takes. That is why high speed blogging doesn't seem to cut it. People think that just because their hit counts are high, people are being persuaded by them, yet there is no way to know how many of those hits are from people who already agree with the blogger and are just coming by to read something that they agree with or to vent.

Usually persuasion involves extensive friendly dialogue and people really don't care to dialogue extensively with those who don't agree with them and are venting lots of angry emotion. This is why blogs that draw a lot of venters who all feel the same way about the issues are not as effective as they could be, regardless of how high their hit counts may be.

I realized the missing L once I got looking at it.

I'm glad I made you blush again, yet to be honest, I can't help but hope that if I find myself at times being persuaded by you that you will also find times in which you are influenced and persuaded by me. It's only fair that it should work that way.

Lista said...

You know, I'm not really saying that high hit blogs do not have an effect on those who read them. The theme of this post is how we all have different gifts and therefore, each blog has it's place.

I'm just saying that it's worth giving some thought to. If the comment area is so cluttered that meaningful dialogue becomes difficult to do, than it is good for a few slower moving blogs to be available to those who need the dialogue.

The Griper said...

lista,
every time you respond to me you are influencing me in some manner. that is the nature of discussion. and at times you persuade me but it may not be in the manner that you think you do or hope to.

as for the effect we have on others, i agree with you. in fact, i said something similar to gayle. that we both have our own ways to influence, she, her way and me, mine.

but as i have often said, my purpose of blogging is not so much to persuade as it is to make whoever reads my blog to think deeper, if that be possible.

there are too many blogs out there whose only purpose, it seems, is to impose their views on others. its as if what others may think but what they think, is all that matters.

i have one big problem when it comes to presenting my views on issues. i know that i do not present my views clearly enough to make some understand what i am trying to say. and that is frustrating for me because i know it and don't know how to correct it.

Lista said...

Griper,
I'm glad to know that I do influence you in some way.

I think that in our own humanness, we all have multiple motives for what we do. Some of the motives are good and some of them are not. This is why we need to keep continually asking God to search our hearts and reveal to us "If there be any wicked way in us". I'll look up the Bible reference later.

God has been convicting me in some whether deep ways lately that I need to be all that much more committed to Him as the end times are approaching. I'm going to blog soon about some of God's lessons relating to being obedient and submissive to Him.

I just need to get past this Election first and plan to post something Election related before posting the more Spiritual stuff that I just mentioned. I've got to get at least one Election related post up before the Election is over.

I've been wanting badly to persuade lately, mostly because I'm afraid. I'm afraid of the end times and feel convinced that if Obama is elected, the end times will be ushered in quite quickly. Even though I know that God will look after those who serve Him, I was and still am hoping for just a little more time before we enter end times struggles.

This motive is less than ideal and so I'm unfortunately going to have to plead guilty as charged in my urgent desire to persuade. All that really matters in God's Kingdom is not even Political in nature, but Spiritual. God's been trying to tell me this and I'm reluctant to hear it.

Humility is so hard to do, Griper. It's much easier to remain caught up in our passion to persuade, as so many bloggers are.

In reality, in the end, all that will matter is not what others think Politically, but what they think and feel about God. This issue has Eternal Consequences. Political Consequences are Temporal, but Spiritual Consequences are Eternal. This is what God keeps telling me repetitively, yet I'm as stubborn as the puppy that God gave us. I look forward to posting about this once the Election is over and I can find the time.

If you want to know my opinion on what you should do in order to learn how to present your views more clearly, what I'd advise is that you turn to God and ask Him what He wants you to say and post. This is God's message to me and His message to you is the same.