Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't Forget to Enjoy the Journey

As I think of things that different people have said to me throughout the blogging world, there is also something that Griper said that really stuck with me. Probably the most important thing that Griper has ever said to me is "Don't forget to enjoy the journey." I have to keep remembering that. Too often I get all caught up in the conflict between Joy and Freedom and Duty. I don't know if I remember all of my thoughts connected with this, but I'll try to come up with at least some of it.

BB's first comment on a previous page relating to our puppy, "Difficult Dogs and Puppies/Tired/Submissive Peeing", reminded me again of the above quote from Griper. What BB said was "Puppies are supposed to bring happiness. Aren't they?", but he might as well of said "Oh come on, Lista. Don't forget to enjoy the journey.", because that is what I heard in my own head.

Another thought was in relation to the verse "28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30) For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 12:28-30, KJV)

Now that I think of it, I was going to connect that thought with Griper's idea "Don't forget to enjoy the journey." and talk about how God never meant for life to be so hard, how it is important to allow ourselves a little joy because without it, even our Christian testimony loses it's credibility.

A couple other verses that go along with this are found in the Gospel of John; "10) The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10, KJV) and "11) These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you and that your joy might be full." (John 15:11, KJV)

And then right along with my thoughts on Christ's yoke being easy and that He came to give us life and joy come thoughts about Freedom and Duty. I wish my thoughts on these things were flowing more freely right now than they are, but to be brief, it has been quite apparent in my life that life is really hard when I try to do it in my own strength and when I am allowing myself to be bound by the Expectations and "Duty" that has been imposed on me by others and at times even by myself, but not by God. God is the only one really that we need to please. So many things that we think are important really aren't and in reality what God thinks is all that matters.

13 comments:

Kris said...

thanks for the reminder.

in the journey we should also rejoice in all circumstances.

Lista said...

Thanks Kris,
I haven't heard from you in awhile. I'll have to come by your blog again and see what you've been writing.

Interestingly, I have a little bit of a negative reaction at times relating to the "Positive Thinking" thing. I was just sitting there thinking about it while playing with our dog. It has to do with my mother and could lead me into another whole post on the subject, yet the basic philosophy is true and I really do need to be continually reminded by the right people in just the right way.

Thanks for your words, Kris, and thanks for dropping by.

Kris said...

sorry for the long absence...i read but have little time to comment.

kw

Lista said...

It's Ok. I have a tendency to comment and therefore have little time to read. It's hard to find the balance.

Not only do I need to come by your blog, but I also owe you a link. Hopefully, I'll get around to doing that soon.

The Griper said...

he grins, watch it girl, you're going to give me a big head. lol

Lista said...

Oh knock it off, Griper,
The last post was done for BB-Idaho. You each touch me in your own way. :)

BB-Idaho said...

It is peculiar that the half-full glass is viewed differently by different people. A survey attempts to find out who and why people consider themselves happy/not happy. Wonder if it is one of those 'life views' like libs and cons are 'born that way'?

Lista said...

It's the old nature/nurture issue again. I'm just not sure, though I must admit that my mother seems to have some kind of a happy gene. Nothing ever seems to bother her. Unfortunately, I didn't get that gene. Oh well.

The Griper said...

he smiles then bows to the lady. "if I be of service to thee in my small way then that, in itself, is enough for me to rejoice in the day." :)

Lista said...

Oh Griper,
Actually, you are quite dear to me. It all comes back to this crazy issue of how much to complement and how much is too much. Now that I'm older, I'm not dealing with this issue quite as much as I used to, but there was a time in which I really had to be careful how I communicated with men.

I don't like to think that I look old. I've always looked a little young for my age, yet the other day when I was with my husband and my father-in-law at a restaurant, the lady actually asked if there were three seniors or only two. That is the first time ever I've been asked if I'm a senior.

Usually I get just the opposite, such as when I say that I don't have kids, I've been told "Oh you have time." by someone who obviously doesn't know how old I am.

I've got a few gray hairs, but for the most part they aren't noticeable. I'm still very much a brunette and I still wear it long like I did in my youth.

Maybe I should stop trying to look so young. Sometimes I wonder if people would respect my point of view more if I did look older.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. I guess I've just been thinking about it lately.

Lista said...

You know, BB,
I must tell you that the link you left here was a very interesting read. Perhaps sometime tomorrow I'll find the time to read it again and write a little of a response to it.

BB-Idaho said...

I'm not sure people 'respect our point of view' just cuz we are old.
Now Griper has a certain air of
'gravitas'...me, I have to provide data and links! :)

Lista said...

Now that I'm older, I look young for my age. When I was younger, I was sort of deep and insightful for my age and it really stood out when I was a teenager because let's face it, though teenagers think they know a lot, most of them don't.

So many things, though, have always seemed obvious to me and so many of my friends did not appear to have a clue. Now that I'm older, a lot of people have caught up to me and now understand a lot of what I've always understood. I don't appear to be quite as smart anymore, so in light of that, I guess it would be nice to still look young for awhile. That way, when people find out that in reality, I'm quite deep, it surprises them.

I'm going to start working on my next post, which is a response to the link you left above.