Thursday, February 26, 2009

What Brings Happiness/Makes People Happy? Money??

You know, there are several reasons why I sometimes choose to make a comment that I'm about to leave on my blog or someone else's blog into a Post, whether than just a Comment. One is because the comment seems too long to just be a comment. Two is because I need to remain in the habit of Posting to my Blog once in awhile, so that those who follow me will continue to come by to check out what's new and three is because I feel the comment thread my comment relates to has gotten too long. This time, it is the first two reasons listed above that are causing me to make this Comment into a Post.

Anyway, in the next Post down, "Don't Forget to Enjoy the Journey", one of my favorite Commenters, BB-Idaho, left the most interesting link entitled, "Are We Happy Yet?". It contains research in the form of a survey about what sorts of things contribute to Happiness and what does not.

Among the other conclusions, one of the most interesting ones is that contrary to the popular belief by a lot of religious folk that money does not make people happy, well actually, according to the survey, it does. I was always a little skeptical of this idea anyway.

My father used to build custom homes and though he never considered himself rich, we were never really lacking in that department and my class mates at school considered us well off because we lived in one of the expensive custom homes built by my father.

My parents would point out that the "Custom Home" we lived in was furnished with a lot of modest, inexpensive furniture and that we could only afford it because Dad built it himself. My parents were very humble, not too showy sort of people; not like the way people generally stereo type the rich folk. Once Dad had a Million Dollars on the books, he claimed that "Now a days, a million is no longer that much money." Well, actually, that was awhile ago and I think that back in the 70s, it was a lot, or at least it was more than the parents of a lot my fellow class mates possessed. Everything is relative, you know.

Anyway, interestingly, I decided that I didn't like being envied. Envy creates a division between people that blocks genuine friendship and because of this, I considered it more of a negative, whether than something to be flaunted.

As odd as it may seem, when my husband and I got married, he had a Bran New, Bright Red Camero and I actually disliked the attention. I just wanted an ordinary economy car that would not cause me to stand out in any way.

Now, a lot of my readers are not going to fully understand my attitude, because it's actually not a very common one, but it was what it was and it actually took me awhile to realize that for someone who had never owned a new car before, nor much else that is more luxury than necessity, this was a really big deal and it is only natural to feel proud when one can purchase something so special and so much beyond what he's had in the past.

So you see, there are some negatives to having some wealth, such as feeling isolated by other people's envy, no matter what you do to avoid causing it. And than there is the matter of not feeling as close as to your father that works so much and is to himself a lot, as creative people often are. I don't know if not knowing who your true friends are was so much of a problem. For some reason, I didn't feel that one as much, yet the envy thing really bothered me quite a lot. I felt that it created a feeling of isolation that I did not like, especially since I never did consider myself any better than anyone else. Why should I? It was my father who earned the money, not me.

There is another side to this, though, for there are positives and negatives within every human experience.

Before I get into that, though, I'd like to tell you about how the rich and the poor sometimes view things differently and those new to wealth, or even smaller pieces of occasional luxury, view things differently than those who have had money for more than one generation.

An example of the first of these is how my parents used to note that they could always tell, when people walked through the houses as they were put up for sale, who could and could not afford to buy them by the way they reacted. The "lookiloos", who couldn't even begin to afford such a home, just reacted in amazement. Those who were potential buyers were way more critical and not as impressed.

An example of how those new to wealth view things differently than those who have had money for more than one generation is how my husband was so proud of his new Camero, but I didn't think it was any big deal.

One of the differences in attitudes between the rich and the poor that has really stood out for me, though, relates to the phrase "Oh, it's no big deal! It's just money!" Well, this sounds really good and even impressive at first, until one realizes that it is mainly the rich who say these things.

Probably the most key example of this casual attitude about money and things is the way my father treated his vehicles. He was not at all like my husband who is really big on maintenance, never misses an oil change, tire rotation, transmission service or anything else that is recommended for maintaining a car. No, my father actually put a lot of his tools and contractor supplies in the trunk of his new Lincoln Town Car. They used to really tease him about it and tell him how much they loved his fancy "Work Truck". In contrast, when those who have had less money most of their life, finally get something special like that, they treasure it, value it, take great care of it and protect it with their life.

The reality that I learned later in life is that while I was learning that "Money is not what brings happiness.", "It's just money.", "A house is meant to be lived in." and "They are just things.", someone else was learning "The Value of Money" and how important it is to take care of what you have because it was a lot of work to earn what it took to purchase these things.

Getting back, though, to the link "Are We Happy Yet?", though I was taught that money is not what brings happiness and have even listed some of the negatives for you above, even so, there is another side to this picture. I saw with my own eyes what happened to my parents and to the basic mood in the house hold when the economy went bad and they lost a bunch of it. I have also experienced first hand what it is like to struggle financially in my own marriage and witnessed the marital stress that can result. This is why I'm not too terribly surprised that some survey found a correlation between money and happiness.

Though money can not buy a lot of things that are quite valuable, such as love and true friendship, even so, a lot of what money can buy is not without value. Though I'm not much into the showy prestige stuff, money also buys Food and Clothing, as well as a few Intangibles, yes, Intangibles, such as Education and the Opportunity to Travel. Education leads to Knowledge and Traveling leads to very precious Memories. Knowledge and Memories are both Intangibles, so you see, money buys more than just "Things".

Well now, isn't that interesting? I was intending to respond to the entire article "Are We Happy Yet?" and yet I didn't even get past the first issue mentioned, which is money.

24 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Oh-oh...money was just one of thirty six criteria evaluated as bearing on happiness!! With respect to $$ and happiness, it would seem those in debt up to their ears might be not real happy: and they could vary from poor to rich, although the vast majority would be classified as poor. Before I retired, I paid off
all debt. (that made me happy)
But 9 of the 36 indicated I should be unhappy (or, leseee here..25% unhappy, I guess). Since it was a phone survey, IMO, people responded based on their current mood, rather than perhaps a type of life view. For example, if I just won the lottery, published a book or my kid got all A's, would I not be happier than if my wife
wrecked the car, the basement flooded or my kid got suspended for drug use? There are other factors as well, which makes for exceptions, but overall, yes the
study is quite interesting.

Lista said...

Though it is true that money was only one of the thirty six criteria evaluated, this doesn't change the fact that there was a correlation between money and happiness. The problem with the idea that there is no correlation is that it alleviates the guilt of those who have lots of money and helps them to feel more Ok about spending every penny of it on themselves and not being concerned about helping the poor.

Lista said...

If all that was being measured is the mood of the people on the day of the survey and whether or not they happened to be having a good day, than the fact that certain correlations were observed would lead me to believe that maybe the rich have a larger number of good days, and the poor have a larger number of bad days.

Lista said...

I feel frustrated sometimes when I'm so busy. It has basically been the cause of all my short little comments, whether than one longer one.

We are having company, arriving on Sunday, and he may be here for several days, so don't be surprised if you hear several days of silence soon.

Meanwhile, I really wish that I had more time to reread the page of the link in this post. There is so much that I could say in response to it, such as analyzing why it produced some of the results that it did, but there is no time.

You are right that debt can produce unhappiness.

Returning to the idea of the survey primarily measuring the mood of the person at the time of the survey, what I just said about the rich having more good days and the poor having more bad days is probably true, since the rich often own newer houses, cars, appliances, etc., the poor own older ones and let's face it, old stuff breaks down and is a real pain in the butt.

Not only that, but also if something breaks down and there is no money to fix it, this makes for a more negative day than the same experience when there is no money available to take care of the problem. Again, there is a big difference between a temporary, minor annoyance and something that may or may not get fixed at all.

BB-Idaho said...

Digging in that survey a bit, they seem to conclude that conservatives are happier than liberals...because they are more wealthy! Funny, I know a number of conservatives who are near the poverty line. The problems with generalisation...

The Griper said...

the one thing that i have against surveys such as these are the idea of correlation. too many people are mislead into the idea that one of the factors has to be the cause of the other. they then try to use common sense to determine which one is the cause. this is not true.

there could be a third factor that is the cause of both or each factor could have a cause of its own. the very fact that the correlation is never 100% true is proof of this.

we must remember that this is a survey of a group not a survey of individuals. what i mean by this is that the conclusions reached are based on the "average" of that group. its a scientific way of turning a relative into an absolute.

this is one of the fallacies of the so-called social sciences and especially true of that social science of sociology.

Lista said...

BB,
Many Conservatives are also religious, which was another factor that contributes to happiness backed up by this survey. I like to think that Conservatives are happier because their position is the correct one. lol.

Just to show you how honest I am, though, in the way I evaluate research, I'll admit to you that the Church Attendance correlation to happiness could either mean that going to Church makes people happy or that happiness causes people to go to Church. I know of unhappy people, though, who have gone to Church looking for answers and I personally have seen lives changed as a result of turning one's life over to God.

Griper,
Both common sense and personal observations can be used in evaluating the reasons for correlations.

"The very fact that the correlation is never 100% true is proof of this."

Now, Griper, I thought that you were opposed to the idea of pointing out the exceptions. I guess what you really mean is that it is Ok for you to do it, just not for me to do it.

"We must remember that this is a survey of a Group not a survey of Individuals."

That statement makes no sense because a group is made up of individuals. No one is trying to turn a Relative into an Absolute. You are the one who does that continually, as I have told you many times. It's called Black and White thinking. Everything is viewed as all or nothing and nothing as simply "Average".

You view absolutely everything, Griper, though your black and white lens and see nothing in the middle, such as Average, as having any relevance to life. You are so much this way that most of the time I feel as if we are talking two different languages and no matter how hard I've tried, I haven't been able to break through this language barrier.

The Griper said...

ohhh i'm into average, lista. statistical analysis was a favorite subject of mine and still is. but as you already know, there is no such animal as an average person. and that was my point.

and the point of getting an average of a group is for the purpose of comparing two groups that may not be same. its use was not to be for the purpose of describing an individual. average has no value in the study of individuals.

as for my viewpoint being either black or white that is only a perspective. individual issues can be broken down into one or the other category. to put it in religious terms it can be declared that something is either sinful or it is not sinful. it is either right or it is wrong. how do you end up with a compromise here?

it is people themselves that can be seen in terms of the gray area. for no one is always right nor is someone always wrong. therefore as persons we are made up of the black and white and the only difference there is between persons is the shade of gray. some are of a darker shade of gray and others of a lighter shade of gray.

that is my perspective of the idea of black and white in regards to issues.

being in the middle, as you call it is just as black or white as being in the extremities. the only thing is that you need to compromise on something you know is right with someone that you know is wrong or the other way around in order to achieve the middle point. this would recognize that truth is absolute.

the only alternative is that you do not believe that anything is wrong thus are compromising on two rights in order to achieve the middle. this recognizes that truth is relative.

the big problem here is, lista, that everyone believes that they are on the right in every thing they believe. i have had people tell me that they do not until i ask them one question and that is, "ok, give me one belief you hold to that you know is wrong." their only response is silence.

BB-Idaho said...

Technical Problem:
..last couple of days, only your right sidebar shows up when I open your blog. I managed to get here by clicking the sidebar listing.
Any idea if this is your problem or mine? I downloaded a newer Spybot program and am thinking it might me a cooke thing. Er...like Gingersnaps, or something? Odd thing..all other websites seem to open normally!

My Blog said...

can I add my Amen to that please.

Lista said...

BB,
The only way I would know if this is "your problem or mine" is if someone else bothers to tell me by complaining of the some thing you just did. If two of you are having the same problem, than there's a possible problem on my end. If not, than it is on your end.

My Blog,
Hi, thanks so much for dropping by and commenting. If you read more of my Blog, though, you will find that I am into balance, so if an Amen is too strong, you will find me saying something to balance it out, such as reminding you that Money should never be anybody's God. There are other things in life that also contribute too happiness and that mean even more in the long run.

I wish I had more time to say more on that subject, but knew when I turned on the computer today that I was going to have limited time.

Griper,
Just as I told My Blog, I'm very short on time and therefore, a response to your comment will have to come later. Thanks, though, for dropping by.

The Griper said...

shucks, girl, you're one of my favorite blogs. i like frustrating you. lol

Lista said...

Hi Griper :),
You know, the same exact person who occasionally frustrates me is also the same person who inspired the next Post down "Don't Forget to Enjoy the Journey". In order to take the message of that post to heart, I have to learn how to not let anyone; you or anyone else; "frustrate me".

I just wish that explaining things didn't take so much time. Since it does, my response to you will probably be on hold until our company leaves. Perhaps the response will even grow into another post. We'll see.

My Blog,
I'm hoping that you will stay tuned because there is more that I want to say to you as well, in relation to balancing out this post.

Lista said...

Griper,
Well, our company (my husband Ray's brother, George) has temporarily gone over to visit with my Father-in-law (both Ray and George's Father), so I guess I do have a minute.

I'm not sure that the fact that "there is no such animal as an average person" proves anything about the irrelevance of statistical data and it is not correct to imply that anything that relates to groups and not to any one particular individual has no relevance, especially when it comes to politics.

As to the issue of sin, Griper, though the Ten Commandments describe things that are sinful to everyone, there are other sins that are not clear, for example, it could be considered sin to go against what God has created us as individuals to do. In that light, it could be considered sin for a person who has a beautiful singing voice to not sing occasionally and share that gift with others, yet someone who has a different gift would not be sinning if he or she never went up on stage and sang a solo.

The Ten Commandments, thus, are Black and White, but what we are expected to do with our individual gifts is a gray area that needs to be worked out between each
individual and God.

In order to fully respond to your comment, Griper, I may have to do a whole separate Post on Absolute verses Relative Truth. I'd really like to move this conversation to such a Post when I have time to write it because Absolute verses Relative Truth was not the intended subject of this Post.

Lista said...

Your last remark "Ok, Give me one belief you hold to that you know is wrong." may create silence in some people, yet for me, all I see is irrelevance. Obviously, no one is going to be able to tell you something they believe that they "know is wrong", for if they "know it is wrong", they would not hold it as a belief. Duh!!

Again this is Black and White, for the word know refers to a level of certainty that is extreme, yet what makes things more gray is the fact that we sometimes are not absolutely sure.

If you were to ask someone to "'Give me one belief you hold to that you' are not 100% positive is right", those who are both Humble and Honest will be able to give you an answer and only those who are truly Arrogant, Dogmatic and Proud will not be able to.

The fact that you often talk in Black and White language, Griper, using Extreme, whether than moderate terms, such as "Know", whether and "Unsure", is what frustrates me, because sometimes it requires a lot of time and words for me to strip away the Extreme language and bring you back to more moderate terms.

Anyway, let's continue our discussion on the Nature of Truth on another Post when I have time to create it. I was hoping instead to get in a discussion about Money and Happiness on this one.

BB-Idaho said...

Your site comes up in good order again. Who knows? Regarding happiness, with the caveat that it may be inate "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think-Jean de la Bruyere", from a pragmatic standpoint of wealth vis a vis happiness, who of use would not be happier winning a $5 million lottery vs losing our home? The survey suggested a direct correlation and it appears a no-brainer. :)

Lista said...

Actually, life can also be a really fun and exciting adventure for those who feel. It just depends on the circumstances. For those who think; it can be a curious adventure of discovery.

The issue that has not yet been addressed here is one of priorities. By that, I mean of all the things that are shown to be connected with happiness, which of them is the most important and in a more Spiritual sense, the most Eternal.

We have all heard it said that you can not take your money with you when you die. It could be argued that you can take your knowledge and your memories and as I have pointed out, money can contribute to both, yet to make any of this truly worth it, it has to be shared, for let's fact it. A lonely rich man is just as lonely as a lonely poor man and in the end, it is both the knowledge and the memories that are shared with loved ones that really count.

One more point that should not be overlooked is one of the Ten Commandments, which reads "3) Thou shalt have no other gods before me.". (Exodus 20:3, KJV) and than there is "No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Matthew 6:24, KJV).

Oh, and here's one more...

"19) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal; 20) But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal; 21) For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matthew 6:19-21, KJV)

Basically, the happiness of money is Not Eternal.

All things must be kept in balance, though. The only reason that I bothered to point out that there is a connection between money and happiness or the lack of it is because sometimes the wealthy will deny this and feel no guilt about spending all that they have on themselves, with no concern for the instruction in the Bible about how we need to help and look after the poor.

Lista said...

Griper,
I'm obviously going to have to do another post since you and I seem to be caught up again in another long discussion, arguing over words. Your most recent comment is both off subject and also quite lengthy, so I'm going to post it below my next post instead of below this one and I will respond at that time.

Gosh! I thought the post was going to be about "The Nature of Truth", but it looks like it is instead going to be about "A Confusion Over Words" or perhaps "Black and White Thinking". I sure wish we communicated better than we do. Oh well.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Additionally, and quite off topic, Lista:

I've noticed that you have difficulty in assessing the difference between the word whether and rather in your postings. As a courtesy I thought I'd point this out and offer you something to consider when making this distinction.

For example you stated herein:

"It has basically been the cause of all my short little comments, whether than one longer one."

That actually should have been rather.

Rather is akin to Preferably, On the Contrary, More accurately; exactly, Somewhat.

Whether is akin to Either.

Lista said...

You know, Soap,
I have read the dictionary relating to this so many times and just can't seem to get it.

For example, the statement you sited could have read "short little comments, instead of one longer one". How is the phrase "instead of" supposed to make me think of "Preferably, On the Contrary, More Accurately, Exactly or Somewhat.", instead of "Either or". Even when I read the dictionary and am staring right at it, I don't always get it.

I guess what you are saying is that if one of the options is preferred, whether/rather than equal, than the word to use is rather. In this sentence, I don't know. Should it be "whether"? I don't know, Soap. Maybe I'm not even capable of getting this one. Pretty sad, huh? lol.

BB-Idaho said...

Soap is reacting as an editor. My wife does that all the time. (she was an educator in Jr. High, sigh)
My counterargument is context; 'what' is the idea preempting 'how' is it stated?
Many of us are not trained journalists, but we write understandably. Why pshaw, a few weeks back, someone complimented me on the correct use of 'whither'
in a comment. To confuse the situation further, 'rather' is an adverb..'whether' is pronoun or conjunction. For silly example,
'Whether' it is fun or not, I would 'rather' not go. So, 'whether' that was helpful,
surely you would 'rather' we didn't stray so far from the original topic! :)

Lista said...

Your use of "Whether" is correct in the first sentence you used because of the "or not". Even in the second of the sentences, the "or not" is implied. You are right that I would "Rather" we didn't stray so far from the original topic. That is a correct use because the word can be replaced by the word "Prefer".

My confusion is over things that I have not been able to find reference to in the dictionaries that I have on hand. For example, when the only substitute words I can think of is "Instead of". To me, this phrase does not immediately cry out "Preferably, On the Contrary, More Accurately, Exactly, Somewhat or even Either".

The only way that I know of tying this into the original topic is that I am trying really hard to not allow the fact that we have strayed so far from the original topic, that I do not have the time available to me right now in order to do something about it by giving you guys a separate, new post, to write on, nor the fact that not being able to figure something out that I'm sure lots of people think is really simple, to make me feel stressed and unhappy.

BB-Idaho said...

From a different perspective, that which makes us happy or unhappy is
not so much the outside stimulus, but the inside reaction. Many years ago, I recall cross-country skiing in Minnesota in a terrible blizzard. Just me and an upset 'mother nature'. It was beautiful...I was very very happy...

Lista said...

Exactly; yet in our own humanness, it is really hard not to keep reacting. I find myself continually asking myself, "Come on, Lista! Why are you reacting to this?" and than I take it to the Lord and He helps me find peace.