Monday, August 29, 2011

Swedenborg/Part 2/Christianity Intellect Compatible

This Post is the Second of a Three Part Series, or actually, it may be 4 or 5 Parts by the time I'm done, on a Link that BB-Idaho Left me, Relating to Religious History, or more Specifically Emanuel SwedenborgMy Previous Post is about the Trinity, God's Wrath and God's Holiness.  This One is more about the Positives in Swedenborg's Theology and how the Basics Gospel Message does not have to be in Conflict with the Intellect.  The Basics are General Enough that there is a lot of Room for Various Forms of Intellectual thoughts and Ways of Understanding Things.  It is Only those who are Overly Dogmatic that cause Intellectual Conflict within those who Like to Think Things Through.

I am not One to Be Dogmatic about any Particular Theology among the Various Theologies that are Debated between those who Believe in Christianity.  That is as Long as there is Biblical Backing for whatever Theology is Proposed.  My Thinking is that Some Things are Obvious and some are not, so let that which is Less Obvious be Decided by Each Individual in their Own Way, in what ever Manner God Leads them.

May the Calvinists and Armenians Accept each other in Love and may God Reveal Truth to all of Us in His Own Way, yet we do Need to be Sure that what we Believe Matches with the Scripture, for if it does not, then the Belief can not Correctly be Called Christianity.

Anyway, since God's Holiness and God's Love is Actually Stressed more by the Church then God's Wrath, Swedenborg's Ideas about God's Anger, just by itself, is not really that Serious of a Conflict with the Christian Church.  His Idea about the Trinity and his Rejection of the"Born Again" Idea, though, are another Matter and this, no Doubt, was the Main Conflict that Caused the Lack of Acceptance of his Ideas by the Christian Church and the Trinity and Born Again Beliefs within the Church Still Stand Today.  Swedenborg's Doctrine on these Issues are a Serious Diversions from Christianity.  You can Read more about these Issues in my Previous Post.

I am Writing Now about some of the Positives within his Theology, though, for the Sake of Showing that the Christian Message can be Compatible with the Intellect.

So Laying that Conflict aside for Now, let's Look Now at some of what Swedenborg Said that I Find Way more Interesting than Controversial.  For Example, I Really Liked this Statement from the Linked Article...

"As we grow spiritually, our will, or emotions become God and neighbor centered.  Our understanding teaches our emotions how to love intelligently."

What a Beautiful Description of the Sanctification Process.  The Focus is on Growth and Understanding (a Process and I have no Trouble at all Viewing that as an Emotional process).  Some may not Like his Focus on the Emotions, yet I do not Find this Particular Idea to be in Conflict with the Christian Church at Large.  Pentecostals are Highly Emotional and Focus more on this Aspect then Other Christian Churches.  In a lot of Ways, it is much more Healthy to Focus on the Emotions, rather then on Trying to Force the Will through the Legalism of Works.  That is Basically what the Mood and Spirit of the Message of Grace, rather then Works, is all about.  God is Patient with the Flesh (Selfish, Unsanctified Emotions) and Offers Grace to us During the Sanctification Process.  The Sanctification Process Takes Time and that is the Whole Reason Why Grace is Necessary.

So Many of Swedenborg's Ideas have more to do with Sanctification, then with the Initial Action of Conversion.  The Sanctification Idea, though, is not an Original One, for it is Both Biblical and Christian.  Many of his Ideas are not in Conflict with Modern Day Christianity.  Here is another Good Quote from the Linked Article...

"Our rational mind is formed by study of the Bible, theology and by our life's experience.  This wisdom works on our emotions and modifies them into spiritual loves."

The Focus on the Mind is not an Idea that Goes against the Scripture, for it says...

"And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."  (Romans 12:2, KJV)

Also, Any Verse that Focuses on the Reading and Studying of Scripture is a Mind Focused Scripture and Here are a Few of those...

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  (2 Timothy 2:15, KJV)

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."  (Psalm 119:11, KJV)

"This is my comfort in my affliction, for Thy word hath quickened me."  (Psalm 119:50, KJV)

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  (Psalm 119:105, KJV)

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."  (Romans 10:17, KJV)

"That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word."  (Ephesians 5:26, KJV)

"You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you."  (John 15:3, NRSV)

I was Surprised in my Word Search, how many of the "Word" Related Verses that I Remember are from Psalm 119.  This Fact Inspired me to Read this Psalm again and though it is Quite Long, it is also a Really Neat One, for the Theme of it is not just Love for God, but Love for His Precepts, Statures and Laws.  In Other Words, the Love of Service and Obedience to God, as well as a Love for his Word.  It's Like Saying, I not Only Love You, but I also Love Serving You and I not Only Love You for Who You are, but also for "Your Words", or for what You have to Say.  I Love Your Laws.  I Love Your Words.  I Love what You have to Say.  I Love what You Stand for.  I even Love Obeying Your Laws.  That's sort of a Paraphrased Description of the Theme of this Psalm.  I Found it to be Quite Powerful and I was Moved when I Read it.

Anyway, Back to the Point, the Hearing and Reading of the Word is an Activity of the Intellect and doing this Helps us to Not Sin, Comforts, Quickens, Guides, Builds Faith, Sanctifies and Cleanses.  The Love of the Law that is Mentioned in Psalms 119 Describes the Full Maturity of our Love and Yes, this Love is Emotional.  This is not at all Unlike what Swedenborg said in what I Quoted above and Here are the Quotes again, with my Emphasis Added....

"As we grow spiritually, our will, or emotions become God and neighbor centered.  Our understanding teaches our emotions how to love intelligently." 

"Our rational mind is formed by study of the Bible, theology and by our life's experience.  This wisdom works on our emotions and modifies them into spiritual loves."

I Actually Liked Swedenborg's Ideas about Sanctification Enough that it made me Feel Sad that he did not also believe in the Trinity and in the Basic Gospel Message, Including the Idea of Being "Born Again".  It's too Bad that he Rejected these things because his other thoughts are Truly Excellent and not Out of Line with Christianity, or more Specifically, the Christian Idea of Sanctification.  Ideas such as; Balancing Self Love with Love for our Neighbors, being Created to be Useful to the World and to our Neighbors, the Good of Working to be Useful to Society and of Loving Useful Work; are not Ideas Unique to Swedenborg.  They are Very Basic Christian Ideas and Even his Ideas about Symbolism in Nature is not Out of Line with Christianity.  I've Heard Lots of Sermons along those Lines.

Yes, the Sun Represents God, or sometimes I've heard the Giver of Light, Described, not as the Sun, but "the Son".  That is God's Son, Jesus.  And Yes, the Light Represents Truth.  Jesus Compared Faith to the Mustard Seed (Matthew 13:31-32) and the Tree is a Symbol of Stability and Strength (Psalms 1) and the branches of the Vine are Symbols of something that is Connected to, Nourished by and Firmly Grounded in God (the Vine), and that can not Bear Fruit without God (John 15:1-8 and Further if Desired).

And Swedenborg is also not the Only One who has Ever Used Symbolism to Interpret the Old Testament Stories of the Bible.  That's Common and Very Christian.

When I came to the Part of the Article that Talked about "Rebirth", however, I realized that there was a Fairly Big Problem, yet Perhaps that will Need to be the Subject of Part Three.  For Now, I'm just Going to say that it is not about Reincarnation, but it is not about the Christian Concept of Being Born Again Either.  Stay Tuned.

13 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

I'm pondering whether the Swedenborgian view of the trinity
had its roots in Sabellius, and
later Servetus?

Lista said...

Haven't Studied either of these Guys Sorry, but Thanks for your Comment.

Later I'll be Back with a Response to Something that was Sent to my Email Box by a Friend.

Lista said...

Here's what I'm Going to do. I'm Going to Allow the Email that I just Mentioned Inspire another Post on the Subject of the Trinity. This will Make what I thought was going to be a Three Part Series, into a 4 Part Series, but that's Ok.

Meanwhile, all I want to say for now is that the History Book that I have the Most Faith in is the Bible and I Feel that sometimes the People who are Given Praise by History Writers are Given Credit for too much, when the Bible Said it First, and when the Bible doesn't say it, well, then I'm going to Question it and the Reason Why is because the Bible has Stood Up against Historical and Archeological Scrutiny better than any other Holy Book and because I have seen Christianity Dramatically Change Lives.

Lista said...

Well, I decided to Place my Response to my Friend's Email in my Previous Post because that is the One in which I Discussed the Trinity in a little more Detail, where as in the Above Post, I just Mentioned it Briefly.

radar said...

Emily Dickinson loved to write poetry and used capitalization as she pleased. I saw this one and thought I would Share:

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant -- Emily Dickinson
"
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant --
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind --
"

Lista said...

Nice Poem, Radar, and Very Interesting. The Word Slant Implies Bias and the Word Circuit Implies a Process and Explains how, while still in Journey, a Person's Thoughts may be Confused and not Appear to Lead to a Definite and Clear Conclusion.

Sometimes the Discovery of Certain Truths Requires a Temporary Path through some Confusion First before the Clearer Conclusion is Reached. You may have just Given me the Courage to Post something I wrote that does not quite Make since yet, but I'm sure will in Time as my Thoughts Progress on the Subject.

You see, it makes sense to me that if we are Created in God's Image, and God is a Trinity, then there might be a Similar Trinity within Ourselves. Freud's Ego, Superego, Id, though, is not a very Good Comparison to the Godhead Trinity. That's the Issue that my Mind is Currently Working on.

The Second Paragraph Suggests that Truth should be Delivered Slowly and that is so Very True, for I think that when it is Delivered too Quickly, it does indeed cause Blindness, especially when it has to do with the Truth about the Weaknesses and Imperfections the lie within us.

Thank You, so much Radar. That Poem is Insightful and even Relates to the Subject of this Post; the Intellect.

Lista said...

So Far, most of the Comments Relating to Swedenborg are beneath the Next Post down.

BB-Idaho said...

"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan;
The proper study of mankind is Man." Alexander Pope 1688-1744

Lista said...

Let me Think on that One a Minute. I Know there is a Verse that says it quite differently then that, but let me get Back to That.

radar said...

I disagree entirely with Pope. When I compare myself to other men I will either tend towards pride or self-deprecation and either way it is a selfish thought. But if I consider God and aspire to be like Him, I cannot be prideful because I cannot reach those heights, yet I cannot be downcast for I know He holds me in His hand and is helping me get closer in. Never will I reach the pinnacle of Christ but I should never end my quest to do so...

I agree heartily that the Word of God is the tool that most readily shapes us more into the image of Christ. I like to think that perhaps Swedenborg became born again against the assertions of his mind, for his heart seemed turned towards God.

Lista said...

Excellent Comment, Radar. It was Very Insightful. Thank You.

And what I wanted to Say earlier is that the Pope was Actually going against Scripture when he said, we are to "Presume not God to Scan". Here are a Couple of Scriptures that Apply...

"And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve Him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts. If thou seek Him, He will be found of thee; but if thou forsake Him, He will cast thee off for ever." (1 Chronicles 28:9, KJV)

"23) Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me, and know my thoughts, 24) And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalms 139:23-24, KJV))

"26) Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities, for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27) And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God." (Romans 8:26-27, KJV)

"9) But as it is written, 'Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him. 10) But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit, for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:9-10)

radar said...

Lista,

Exactly! This is why Psalms 17:15 is my favorite:

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness;
I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness."

Someday I will not strive to know Him better for I will be able to comprehend Him far better when I have been made capable of seeing Him face to face!

Lista said...

One of my Favorites is Similar.

"11) When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12) For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:11-12, KJV)

We are Thinking about putting this Verse on our Grave Stone.