Monday, June 2, 2008

A Growing and Evolving Blog

I'm hoping that those who read my blog are not going to think it too strange if I keep coming back to the subject of what it is like to blog. Hopefully, you will all just conclude "Oh, that's just Lista. That's what she does."

I keep coming back to the question of what the purpose is for my blog because it appears to keep changing. If my only goal was for the sake of friendship, I could accomplish this by commenting on other people's blogs and would not need to have a blog of my own.

At first, I thought that this was going to be a Political blog with the goal of expressing my opinion and getting my voice heard, yet the Lord seems to keep moving me in the direction of the Spiritual.

One observation that I've made, though, is that a lot of you guys are more likely to comment on the Political, than on the Spiritual. I'm not sure why that is, yet it has brought me back to the original question again "What is the purpose of this blog." I've already decided that my purpose is not necessarily just to get lots of hits. I talked about this on an earlier post, Why do we Blog?

The question now is "What about comments?" Is my goal to get lots of comments? It seems that that would be a good goal, yet to be honest with you, I was actually enjoying the break from endless political debate. When ever I publish a Political Post, I have to be prepared for and in the mood for the debate that I know is going to take place, for after all, when I Post something Political, I seem to be drawn to that which is highly controversial. That's just my way.

What it actually comes down to is that I need to balance my goals against my fatigue and move along at a reasonable pace that accomplishes at least a little something, while at the same time not draining me of too much of my energy.

So what does a slow down in the comments mean anyway? Does that mean that you guys aren't reading it, or are you reading it and just not commenting because you don't know what to say? I don't have a hit counter, so I have no clue what is actually happening in relation to the number of hits on my blog.

Ok, so what about the Spiritual? In relation to this, I seem to keep coming back to something that I wrote in one of my posts that seems worth repeating again and again, so here it is again...

"The main difference between Democrats, Liberal Republicans and true Conservatives is what we believe to be the source of our strength. Democrats seem to believe that it is the government itself and want lots of it. Liberal Republicans seem to think that the source of our strength is the military. This idea is also incorrect. The real truth is that if we lose the conservative values that our country once treasured in her youth, no government program, nor even a very strong military, will be able to save us. This is why I fear greatly for our country.

"It's just like Ronald Reagan said, 'If we ever forget we are a nation under God, we will become a nation gone under'. May God help and have mercy on this country."

The above two paragraphs came from my post entitled "Quotes from Mitt Romney and Ronald Reagan". This post also includes part of the speech that Mitt Romney gave when he dropped out of the presidential race.

When I begin to realize the reality that our influence over the political climate in this country is sort of limited and as I remember what I said in this earlier post as I have repeated for you above; as I think on these things, I began to think that maybe the Spiritual is where it's really at and not just the Political, so my goal now is to get my voice heard in both the Political and the Spiritual realm.

Aside from making friends and also getting my voice heard, is there still more?

This is the point at which I begin to realize that the experience of blogging produces personal benefits as well. As I post, comment and also respond to other people's posts and comments on my own blog and others, I find myself changing and growing to an extent that can actually result is some growing pains. As I grow and my perspective on things changes, my blog slows down, yet maybe this is a very important part of the process. I blog for the sake of my own learning and growth.

Once again, it seems that if we post too frequently and quickly, we may miss out on some of the thought processes that contribute to our own growth and make us stronger, wiser and better people, with a greater understanding and appreciation of people and of our would. Shouldn't we all take the time to stop and smell the roses, as well as evaluate and think about all that we write and read. More is not necessarily better. When life moves along too quickly, it just becomes a lot of empty clutter, lacking depth and meaning.

If one of the goals of my blog is for the sake of my own personal learning and growth, perhaps it wouldn't be so wrong for me to occasionally just post my thoughts about any issue at all that I am currently working on in my mind and heart and if my goal is nothing more than personal learning and growth, than I guess it doesn't matter so much how many comments or hits I get.

There are people who have told me that sometimes I think too much, yet I guess I'd rather be that way, than to be one that doesn't think at all.

I guess what is comes down to is that this blog appears to have more than one purpose and perhaps will eventually be just as diverse as the heart of it's author.





P.S. - If you are interested in one aspect of my blog more than another, I'd encourage you to go to the link on the right, under the heading "Favorite Ramblings" and click on the link "All of my Posts Organized by Category".

21 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

You don't have a hit counter? Seems that would leave you a little in the dark, as the ratio of hits/comments would be interesting, if not informative.
I 'hit' about 10-15 blogs daily, often several times, including yours..but comment only if the post falls into my area of interest and experience, and then hopefully to add or expand. For example, spirituality seems a personal and and deep subject..
those of us that lack it, at least in the religious sense, cannot add or detract..there is no controversy, IMHO. There are numerous blogsites which discuss
religion from a number of perspectives. Like most blogs,
they have their supporters and arguers. (Dispensationalists and
reformed Presbyterians seem as
feisty as Dems and GOP!) So, as regards "..or are you reading it and just not commenting because you don't know what to say?"
..er, yes, you nailed me.
..if you had a hit counter you would know that! :)

Lista said...

Hi BB,
I've missed you. It's so good to see you again. No, I don't have a hit counter. I'm just trusting God to use my blog to touch whomever comes by, in whatever way in which that happens. It's good to know that you are still hanging around even though you're not talking. I hope you know that God loves you. Even if you're just saying, "Yeh, Yeh, whatever.", I'm still going to say it cause, well you know, that's just what Christians do and hearing it isn't going to kill you.

I don't think I'm going to try and stir up controversy in the area of religion, especially not between Christian denominations. I think that different styles of worship touch different people in different ways and we actually agree on quite a bit and there is way more common ground than there is conflict. This fact is not changed by the fact that some Christians seem to like to focus on the conflict.

The bottom line is that religion deeply touches people's lives and when it comes to Christianity, there may even be eternal consequences to one's decision to accept or reject it as a whole. That's a scary thought that I wouldn't take too lightly. I mean think about it. What if what we are saying is correct? I'm not so sure that I'd want to take that risk, though that is not actually what motivates my Christianity. I'm a Christian because God has very deeply touched my heart.

Z-man said...

Hit counters are informative but usually depressing, same 20 or so people at my blog all the time. Huffington Post gets all the noise, doesn't matter how much you put your heart and soul into it. I think your goal of learning things from other bloggers is a good one, I rely on the political junkies out there to really hone in on an issue or political personality. I just find blogging to be the most enjoyable part of my day or, to paraphrase an old fishing expression work is just something I do in between blogging.

BB-Idaho said...

Back again. After writing three
long comments about Pascal's Wager
"..I'm not so sure that I'd want to take that risk,..", Lee Strobel's 47 million unchurced, the door-to-door Jehovah's Witness
folk, etc..pressed delete
thrice..subconciously admitting the profoundity of your "..as well as evaluate and think about all that we write and read.." Oddly,
I learned something totally unrelated. In linking a discussion of Pascal's Wager, I found a code generator which of
course I deleted as well. But was quite enamored of it and can't wait to see how I goofed up this time. As far as the variability in
commenting, I've noticed on several sites that some posts get a lot of action, others little or none; either the topic or the
'fickle public', but certainly normal for most blogs. Sort of interesting. As a commenter, I will sometimes post at half a dozen sites some days, then go for several days reading, but not commenting. Fickle me. :)

Lista said...

Well, you are not obligated to talk unless you want to. Though I do like it when you say hello, the fact that I do not have a hit counter is not your problem and when ever my blog is slow, I just go get involved in conversations else where. It's not as if there's not quite a bit out there to choose from.

You get an A+ this time on your Hyper-link and a gold star. Way to go! At first, I wasn't sure what all I was looking at when I clicked on the link, yet did eventually figure it out, so thanks for the link.

Most of the information that I've received about how to get more hits on your blog came from a blog that is no longer active, but that does still exist on the web. Here's a link to the page.

Jet Patriot Needs to Appeal to the Masses

I guess it's mostly me commenting, yet I got a lot of the information from a comment that Gayle left on this page.

Posting often is supposed to help, yet my approach is to just go visiting and quite often I see the people I just visited on my own blog soon after visiting their blogs. When I get really busy, am on the computer less and do less visiting, I'm sure that it also effects the number of hits to my blog. It's good to also be interesting, yet I think there are a lot of factors that contribute to the popularity, or lack of it, on any one's blog.

Lista said...

Well, you got an A on your Hyperlink and I got an F on mine. For some reason it doesn't work. Should I try it again?

Jet Patriot Needs to Appeal to the Masses

BB-Idaho said...

Hmm, can you help me out on these
links..both 'code generator' and
'Jet Patriot' open, but only in the
little comment template in the upper left quadrant. I've tried a number of things, but cannot expand these to full screen. ??
(if my link won't expand to full page, my A should be reduced to a
D+).

Lista said...

Then she smiles. :)
Oh, BB, you're doing better than a D+. You still get and A+ on your link. Your link is fine. I'm just going to give you a C on your approach and here's what you do...

When you go to my blog, instead of clicking on "Comments" or "Post a Comment", click on the title of the post. The comments will appear below the post in full screen and than you can view the links in full screen. When you click on the link that comes into your email box, you will also get this page. Just click on the links before clicking on "Post a Comment". Don't try and use the separate "Post a Comment" screen for the viewing of these links.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on the drop in the number of comments on my blog and here is what I'm thinking.

1.) The change in subject from the Political to the Spiritual is not as interesting to my original crowd.
Solution: Go out and visit and make new friends. Draw in a different crowd.

2.) The fact that I have been a little preoccupied with life away from the computer and also with certain blogs, yet not others, has caused me to socialize on fewer blogs.
Solution: Go out and visit and bring them back in.

3.) The newness of my blog is wearing off.
Solution: Go out and visit and socialize and get your commenters back, while also making more new friends.

Of course, there is one other factor to consider. If my goal of increasing the number of hits and comments on my blog and the goal of "having a life" away from the computer are in conflict, than my primary goal may not be the increasing of hits and comments on my blog, which is what I have been continually saying all along.

BB-Idaho said...

Ah Ha! That worked. Also found a right-click on the little blue arrow next to the URL that permits
an 'expand' option...another fifty years of intense study and just maybe I will be able to have my own blog. ..then another ten years to figure out how to install a hit counter. Thanks! :) All three of premises had the same solution...visit. He ponders and says to self 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 ..then
ponders more..whaaa, another life equation? :)

Lista said...

lolol :) :D :D,
Wow! I guess you plan to live for quite awhile. If we follow your plan, we'll both be over 100 by the time we learn how to install a hit counter. Maybe we better pick up the pace on that a bit. Don't you think? lolol.

I couldn't find the blue arrow you spoke of. We have Windows XP Pro. I don't know which version you have. Speaking of right clicking, though, I just recently discovered a new copy/paste option that works inside the comment window. Besides the normal drag and drop option, you can also right click on something that you've marked, click on Copy, place the cursor where you want it copied and than right click again and click on Paste. I know this is probably something that most everyone already knows, yet for people like us, it requires considerably "intense study", doesn't it? Once again, you make me laugh. lolol.

Lista said...

Oh BTW, Gayle (The Dragon Lady's Den link on the right) has posted something really neat relating to "A Muslim Journey to Hope". If you haven't already, you should check it out.

Gayle said...

Thank you for the mention, Lista. :)

Well, hon, I'm a political blogger by choice. The reason I run a blog is to inform people of the dangers of being too liberal, of the injustices of the liberal MSM, and many other issues that are so important to me. But I am not a liberal Republican. I don't even know any of those critters! LOL!

Just post what you please when you please. If God is leading you towards the spiritual, then stick with it! I visit other spiritual blogs. Karen and Paula are two. Their blogs are linked on my sidebar under Karen's Blog and Paula's Blog if you think you might enjoy visiting them.

And God bless you! :)

Lista said...

Hey Z-man!!
I've seen you around the web and you have been on my list of blogs to check out, but I just haven't gotten around to you yet. Looks like you beat me to it.

Sorry that I somehow missed your comment yesterday. For some reason it didn't go into my regular inbox and I didn't find it until today.

I like your suggestion that "Work is just something I do in between blogging." I can relate. I get a little that way myself at times.

Thanks so much for dropping by.

Hi Gayle,
My blog is going to be both political and spiritual. I'm concerned about both and it adds a certain variety that I'm hoping some will really like. Thanks again for dropping by.

The Griper said...

just write what is interesting to you, lista. friends will drop by no mater what you write. they may not comment but they will still be there in the shadows. you do a good mix of spiritual, politics and personal posts.

a blog needs no single theme. remember, regardless of what you write it is your personality revealed.

i enjoy visiting a mix of blogs, some spiritual others political and still others with strictly a personal theme. that way, no burn out and you can touch on every part of what you are too, a very diverse human being and that is as God created us.

so, one way of looking at it is to say that a blog with no central theme is the theme of a blog. don't try to please your visitors, please yourself with the posts.

then whispers "don't forget, it is your decision on what you want to blog not someone else's."

Lista said...

Thanks Griper,
You're a pal.

Oh and BTW Gayle,
You're welcome.

I was thinking about this Liberal Republican idea and remembering that some groups have given them an name. They are called RINOs, which means Republicans in Name Only. I was feeling really stupid at first because I didn't understand what that meant, yet once I asked around, I found out that a lot of my friends didn't either. Unfortunately, McCain has been called a RINO and that is why a lot of Conservative Republicans don't like him so well.

Lista said...

Griper,
"Don't forget, it is your decision on what you want to blog, not someone else's"

Actually, a lot of times I think that God directs my blog because so often I get these inspirations that come out of no where for no apparent reason and I feel strangely moved in one direction or the other and the blog takes on a life of it's own that appears to be a separate entity apart from myself.

repsac3 said...

Just dropping in to offer a hello, after checking out a whole bunch of the posts & commentary here...

I saw on one of your blogging posts that you were asking about those labels that categorize your posts. (so that you don't have to do it manually, the way you do now.) See if this link helps: How do I label my posts?

If you'd like, I'd be glad to try to help if you have questions (keeping in mind, I have a Mac, and I'm no expert, myself.)

(I'm stopping here in the interest of brevity. I wrote more, but to keep it short, I'll save it for the next time... I hope you appreciate how hard that is for a wordy guy like me... 8>)

Lista said...

Hi Repsac,
I appreciate you dropping by. Thanks for the link. I was actually looking at the labels on your blog and was wondering about it. I probably would have gotten around to asking about it eventually.

Yeh, thanks for being brief. From you, I really do appreciate it, since so many of our interactions have been long winded. I'll tell you what, though. If you use a word processor, you know a little better exactly how much to write. I usually try not to go much past one page, yet I use small margins (.5") and font 12. One such comment per. day is about what I can handle and even at that rate, I may decide once in awhile to temporarily ignore you if I'm tired.

Thanks for dropping by, though. I'm so glad that you did.

Lista said...

I just thought I'd add another comment to this page thanking Gayle again for referring two spiritual blogs to us. Karen is Catholic. Her blog is called Light and Life and I was quite impressed with Paula. She's got about ten blogs. Her home page has been given the title Homeward Bound.

Lista said...

Hey Repsac,
I finally did those labels and you know what? A new visitor came by and clicked on one of them almost right away. Thanks for the link. Praise God!!

Also thanks BB,
For the Code Generator link. I use it all the time in order to do Hyper Links. It's so much easier. Thanks.

repsac3 said...

Glad I could help... They look great!! 8>)

(Maybe later I'll stop back & read through a few of 'em, but I figured I'd reply as soon as I got the message, because sometimes I forget, otherwise--especially when I'm otherwise involved, as I am with my brand new facebook account...)