Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Sculptor (A Mime Presentation)

My husband and I saw the most incredible mime show Sunday night of the sort that causes one to say Wow!!

There were a whole bunch of different mime presentations done to different pieces of music. One of the most impressive and moving numbers that they did was about a sculptor.

It starts with one of the mimes just laid over like an unshaped blob of clay. The other mime moves his hands around her as if shaping her and as he does so, she moves, gradually stands up, positions her hands over her head like a ballerina, opens her hands from a fist to opened fingers, and then as he works on her face, she first opens her eyes and then eventually smiles. Lastly, the sculptor positions her legs, so she looks just like a ballerina.

After the sculptor leaves the room, the ballerina comes to life, happily dances around and examines the drawing that the sculptor had used in order to shape her. Soon, three other mimes that had been there in sort of a wicked frozen position throughout the whole thing, come to life and wickedly move over to where the ballerina mime is and begin to taunt her and as they do, she becomes all distorted and full of despair. They take the picture away that the ballerina is looking at. She fights to get it back and it rips. Eventually, the oppressors leave the stage and the ballerina just stands there frozen, in an all distorted position and a very distraught look on her face.

Next the sculptor enters and sees the damage that has been done to his creation. He is quite saddened by it and with the gentleness of his skilled hands tries to fix her, but is not able to do it easily. With great pain in his face, he has to now use a hammer and chisel, instead of the gentleness and softness of his hands. There is distress in his face as he does it and the ballerina mime gradually returns to her original position, all bend over in a ball, like an unshaped lump of clay. Next, the sculptor starts over again and begins to shape her once again, in a way similar to the beginning of this mime number.

I was so incredible moved by this number. I just can't tell you how truly beautiful it was. I wish I had a video to show you, instead of just a description.

As I was watching this, I was thinking about, as I continually do, what we've been talking about on this blog and was thinking about how I could use this mime show as an illustration while responding to a comment that I had just read. As I thought it through, though, I realized that my thoughts about it are too long and that this is going to be a post, whether than just a comment, so here it is.

Since I was thinking about the previous post, though, as I was watching it, I've decided to go ahead and use this as an illustration about the subject of change.

Quite a number of things have been said about change in the comment section of my previous post (the next post down), such as not all change is good, it can be good, bad or neutral, how we fear change, how we change and grow because we are creative, the need to be cautious of side effects, whether than being in so much of a hurry, the problem of "throwing out the baby with the bath water", avoiding the extremes, the inevitability of change as a constant random time-related process, overtly caused change, the individual perception of change, the changes promised by politicians, changes imposed on us by politicians, how change for it's own sake is dangerous, how people can only handle so much change, so we need to prioritize our gripes, the unchangeable nature of God and His laws, and the fact that we are the ones who need to change, not God. Aside from this, there was also some interesting discussion about pride, stubbornness, yielding to God, the "Ponder Button", Negotiation and Bargaining, and Griper's grandpa's quote "A man without a gripe is a man who has no thoughts." There may be other themes added to this previous comment thread later, but that is where we were at when I published this post.

Getting back to the mime show, though, the number that I have described above is about change, in that the sculptor was producing change in His sculpture (the ballerina), as he worked on her. This is positive, creative change. The villains also caused a change in the ballerina, but that was negative change, resulting in the destruction of what the sculptor had created, so here we see illustrated that not all change is good. It required considerable effort and even anguish on the part of the sculptor in order to change back the damage that had been done to his sculpture.

If you haven't already figured this out, I will tell you that the Sculptor is a metaphor relating to God and how as our Creator, He shapes us into the beautiful creations that He intends us to be. The changes that are made by God are always good ones, yet the changes of the villains (Satan and his demons) are negative and destroy God's work. As we submit to God's changes, we become better people, but when we submit to the things that Satan offers us, we change in ways that are destructive. When God has to undo the damage of the negative change, He has to use hammers and chisels, whether than the original gentleness of His hands and there is usually pain involved.

There is also a Part 2 to this Post.

8 comments:

P Maillet said...

Lista, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I very much appreciate it.

In reading your blog, I kept thinking to myself, "she and I are truly on the same page."

Our prayer group is reading, "Prison To Praise and Power In Praise," by Merlin Carothers. It is saying just what you're saying here, how important are our reactions to the changes God brings, and how we are to recognize them as the elements He uses to change us. When we recognize this and respond to Him with praise and thanksgiving, we are submitting to the process and cooperating with Him as He brings us to be what He desires us to be. This book changes your whole way of thinking.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

"...as our Creator, He shapes us into the beautiful creations that He intends us to be."

Assuming I'ver interpreted this correctly, this is a part of religion often touted that I've never accepted. I don't believe that our creator shapes us or molds us into who we ought to be. Otherwise, what would be the point of man's existence?

I believe our creator instills certain traits within each and every one of us and then sets us free. Our creator gave us freewill and if we live right then we will acquire these traits as it were though perhaps not always.

Lista said...

Hi Soapbox,
Thanks for dropping by again. I was hoping that I haven't been too overly spiritual for you lately in my shift from the political to the spiritual. Your comment sounds like a free will issue. Often Christians focus so much on submitting our wills over to God and allowing Him to direct our lives that it almost sounds as if we are not allowed to make a single decision on our own, yet this isn't necessarily so.

God gives us guidelines in the scriptures as to how we should live and He also gives us each gifts. It is not necessarily wrong for us to make a few of our own choices, yet we do have to remain in God's will. Sometimes God will place a special calling on someone's life and if we submit to that, it can be quite an adventure in something that uniquely fits us and demands of us everything that we were created to be and do.

Sometimes God gives us the answers to the things in our lives and sometimes He does not. Interestingly, there are people who complain because God hasn't given them all the answers and others who will complain because they want to decide a few things and figure out a few things for themselves. Apparently, no matter which God decides to do, there are some who are unhappy.

One way to look at God's molding of us, though, is how He purifies our hearts.

Basically what happened, Soapbox, is that when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, they acquired a sin nature. God didn’t make all their decisions for them. He only limited their decisions by one tree. He told them that they could eat of absolutely any tree of the garden that they wanted to. Take your pick. There is only one tree that He asked them not to eat from and that is the one that they naturally wanted because it was forbidden.

Since I’ve mainly been political in most of the posts that I’ve talked to you on, I don’t actually know what your spiritual beliefs are, so forgive me if I start with some very basic Christian ideas that you may have already heard. For example, you may have already heard of lot of the verses that are used by Christians to describe what we need to do in order to be saved from the consequences of the sin nature that we acquired from Adam and Eve.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16 (KJV)

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 (NIV)

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock. If any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20 (KJV)

Basically, we just need to believe in the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ and confess Him as Lord. The third verse mentioned, that’s from Revelation, is a little more personal, for the Lord knocks at the door of our hearts and desires us to open up to Him and invite Him in, and thus explains the phrases "Invite Christ into your heart." and "Accept Him as your personal Savior." This is what begins the process of Christ molding us into who we are originally created to be.

Naturally, there is no pressure for you to accept anything at all that I say to you, but I do want you to understand it since we’ve talked quite a bit and I consider you a friend.

The reason why it is necessary for God to shape and mold us is because of the damage that was done to our spirits when Adam and Eve sinned, for the result of this was a sin nature, just as the Bible says "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 (NIV). God is totally Holy and Pure and because of that, He can not stand to be around any form of sin or imperfection. We are not Holy and Pure because of the sin nature we acquired from Adam and Eve.

What happened, Soapbox, is that when Adam and Eve sinned and acquired a sin nature, this caused a division between God and man, sort of like a big canyon that can not be crossed, with God on one side and man on the other. The most serious reason why this is a problem is because our separation from God carries with it certain consequences, just as the Bible says "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23 (NIV).

One way that this is commonly explained is that when Christ died for our sins, this caused the cross to be laid across the canyon so that we could walk across and have fellowship with God again, just as the Bible says "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this…While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 (NIV)

This explains the beginning of the process of God’s shaping and molding us, as is described in the Mime Presentation in this post. I have more to say on the subject, but have decided to limit myself to not much more than a page per. comment, so I’ll finish my thoughts on this subject on another day.

Please do stick around, Soapbox, because besides the spiritual, I’m going to be getting back into the political again as well, so I’m sure we’ll have lots to discuss and go back and forth on.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

I was baptised Roman Catholic. I have spiritual reservations but I'm not religious. I don't attend church outside of special occasions (i.e., weddings, baptisms, etc.). In essence I'm a Catholic just not a practicing one you might say.

I'm privy to that which you've put forth herein.

Gayle said...

Hi Lista. I truly enjoyed this post and would have liked to have seen that mime show. You did a great job of describing it and it sounds beautiful. I also agree with your interpretation of it.

I see that you and my friend Paula have found each other! :)

Lista said...

Hi Soapbox,
Sometimes communicating and writing feels like such a hard thing to do. I sort of know what I want to say, yet I'm not sure how to say it, nor if what I was considering saying yesterday is what I need to say right now, or is it?

There are so many things that I could write about and I'm wondering which is the correct path. For example, I could write about some of the differences between the Protestant and Catholic church. This is another of those subjects that we tend to avoid because we do not wish to offend, yet one of the beauties of the blogosphere (Did I spell that right?) is that we talk about controversial stuff all the time and though trying to be polite, free expression is valued above "political correctness".

Sometimes spiritual things are sort of private and thus, difficult to write about on the Web. Maybe one of these days I should look into one of these "Contact Me" pages so that it would be more possible for people to share things with me privately if they chose to.

For now, I guess the main thing that I want to say to you, Soap, is that I'm not really that "Religious" either. Christianity is really more about relationship, than about ritual, for we form a personal relationship with our Savior and our faith and belief is all about that relationship, not about "Religious Ritual". The Catholics are more into Ritual than a lot of the other Christian groups and they focus quite a bit on Mary.

I do sort of want to get back to the subject of this post, yet I'm not going to let this go. I'm going to try and post something that allows as to continue this discussion. Meanwhile, P Maillet has a few blog pages that relate to the spiritual phrase "Born Again", which is similar to what I was talking about in my last comment. You can check it out if you want to hear someone else explain it.

How to Be Born Again

Lista said...

Hi Gayle,
Thanks for writing again. Since this was a presentation done by Christians and was done at a Christian church, it is quite safe to say that the interpretation of it is also Christian.

You mentioned Paula, which reminds me that I have been wanting to ask her whether or not she wants to go by that name on the web. Thanks for connecting me with her. She's a real jewel on the web.

Lista said...

Hi P Maillet,
I hope we remain on the same page even as I keep writing. I have a tendency to touch on controversial topics once in awhile and in doing so, I sometimes find disagreement even with those who I agree with on the things that really matter.

I've heard of the book, "Prison to Praise" and really should read it sometime.

I guess it is the submission idea that messes so many people up. It's just like Soapbox expressed the concern that if God does everything and decides everything, than "what would be the point of man's existence?"

I hope you'll forgive me if I say that there have been times in which I could relate to this. It's probably because too often in my life there have been so many other people who have made far too many of my decisions for me and when this happens, after awhile, I begin to feel like I don't exit.

The way in which the Lord has encouraged me in this is by occasionally allowing me the freedom to decide a few of the smaller details in my life for myself, as long as I remain in His will. I've discovered also that it is up to me to decide, not the other people in my life, what it is that God is saying to my heart.

You may have responded differently to Soapbox than I have and I invite you to go right ahead and do so.

In need to do a post on, let's see how did I put it?, oh yeh, "How much of change is random and inevitable and how much of it can be overtly caused?" and "How much of our lives is caused by Destiny or Divine Will and how much of it depends on our choices and our free will?" In other words, I'm going to explore the subject of submission and free will.

I didn't realize until just now that this same issue has come up in different ways in the comment threads of both of my most recent posts. I might also have more to write on how God shapes and molds us.