Friday, June 27, 2008

Having Fun with my Hit Counter

I installed a hit counter on my blog on June 16, 2008. It's taken me awhile to figure out how to most efficiently view it, for my first impression of it was that the only thing that is easy to see at a glance is the number of hits, which is actually a misleading number, because just as I suspected, there are often several hits coming from the same person, so the hits per. day number does not equal the number of visitors (people) who have been by.

In order for me to view some of the other details, I have to flip through several web pages in order to find all of the information I'm looking for and I found this to be a little frustrating at first until I finally came up with an idea for a chart with the towns and states listed on the left, the dates across the top and the number of hits per. day coming from each location on each day being filled in on the chart. This could work. It's too bad that the computer doesn't do this for me, but hey!! It's free and you sort of get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, when I first started working on this post, there were 110 hits on my blog since June 16, making an average of 11 hits per. day. I don't know if that's a lot or not. During the first week, I was getting an average of 8 hits per. day and than just a few days ago, this number jumped to 11 hits per. day. I'm not sure what caused the increase, but I'm guessing that I finally got around to doing some visiting. When I decided to label my posts, as you now see on the right, my "Page Views" per. day numbers went up, so that was a very good move. Praise God!!

I am honored to realize that several of you do indeed visit me daily and in fact, often several times a day, just as at least one of you has admitted to. The idea that several loyal patriots can make my hit count go up is interesting. I guess I should really try and reward you with a little more to read.

Along with the loyal regulars, it looks like in all, there have been hits from 18 different towns since the 16th. Imagine that; 110 hits from 18 different people. I'm intrigued with the fact that some of you come by so often, even though there's not always anything new to read, yet I'm honored that you do come by. Thank you.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

I doubt that I've been counted more than once in a day, Lista, as I've been too busy to keep up! But I'm glad you got sitemeter and at least it gives you the knowledge that others do read you who don't comment. :)

Lista said...

I have not received any hits from Texas, Gayle, so I have to assume that you are one of the hits that has not identified the location. My guess is that prior to today, you haven't been by in about 12 days. This behavior makes more sense to me than the behavior of those who have the time to stop by several times a day. That actually amazes me a little, yet of course they are welcome to drop by as often as they want to, but I'm not going to be able to return the favor on quite that same frequency.

I now have hits from 20 different towns and at least one of these was referred to me from your blog, so thank you.

Lista said...

Oophs! I guess it was 7 days ago. Oh well. Whatever.

The Griper said...

well, remember lista, they drop by not only to read your posts but to read comments made. this would be especially true if they had made a comment themselves.

this would be especially true if the issue was controversial in the post.

Lista said...

Hello all,
I just want to say to those of you who drop by sometimes several times in one day that I’m really honored and even touched by your loyalty. Thank you and please do continue the habit. I’m not sure if I know exactly who some of you are. I only know the state and town and I guess it’s even possible that there are several people reading my blog from the save town.

Hi Griper,
I don’t know why you don’t just check the box that has the comments sent directly to your email box. I don’t think that I could do it the way you do, for on some days, I place comments on so many posts, on so many blogs, that I lose track of where all I’ve been in order to back track and go check up on all the comments. It’s easier for me to just check all the boxes and then if there is too much that comes into my email box the next day, I just ignore some of it. I’m learning that the key to dealing with over stimulus is to ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore.

I imagine, though, that everyone’s blogging habits are different. When I visit a blog more than once in one day, I’m either involved in a conversation on it, or I have read something, went away and then returned later in order to comment.

What was surprising me is that I was negligent in posting. Nine days went by between two of the posts and the comments were also slow, yet there were a few people who dropped in on me 2 to 3 times a day anyway. On some days, it was even more than this. I’ve got 3 fans that are like this. Perhaps a couple new comers are reading earlier entries. That’s pretty cool.

Hello all,
Anyway, I’m quite honored and even touched by this kind of attention, so I’m hoping it will continue. Hopefully, no one will feel self-conscious about the fact that I’m watching how often they come by. Remember, there are several other frequent hitters, so if you are one of them, you are not the only one. I’m probably not going to be able to return the favor, though. I’m not nearly so loyal to anyone, as some of my fans are to me. Oh well.