Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summing it Up

They removed the Precautionary Evacuation Status from our area last weekend. I don't remember any more exactly when it was that ours was removed. I guess it was on Sunday, but it may have even been on Saturday night. When they did that, though, they sent the out of town fire fighters either home or to other fires.

We remained a little nervous at first because the last time that they did this, there was an unexpected wind the following night and we were put on Precautionary Evacuation again. Because of this, I was reluctant to unpack at first, since I had already done so twice, but we did finally unpack a little each day throughout the week and I think that we've gotten it all back in the house again. It sure is good to have my things back inside the house and the smoke has been much better. Praise God!!

We are getting ready now to go of a trip to Canada. I was really nervous about going because the fire is actually still burning. It has been 70% contained since Monday and is now 80% contained and the fire fighters continue to report good progress on it, but it is still not out.

Interestingly, in the next post down, the men who commented thought we should go on the trip and the women who commented understood my reluctance. Well, it looks like we are going. It's only been postponed by a few days. Mom and Dad will be here either Monday or Tuesday and soon after that we'll be heading out.

Please continue to pray that the fire fighters will get every single one of the Northern California Fires out. Thanks.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I'm very glad that you have been spared, Lista, and I pray that the fires will be contained soon.

Lista said...

Thanks Gayle,
Believe it or not, there is still a fire burning in Plumas County that is only 10% contained. Can you believe it?! I'm guessing that a lot of the fuel between there and here has already been consumed.

The air is better, but I still do occasionally smell the smoke. We saw the haze from the fire as we were approaching the Northern California Border yesterday.

One of the most interesting reports, I received, though, was from someone we talked to while on our trip who was from Wyoming and claimed that they were getting some Northern California fire smoke all the way over there. Shoot, that's 3 states over, between Montana and Colorado. I wonder what the smoke was like in Nevada, Utah and Southern Idaho.